Thursday, November 13, 2008

Such a LOVERLY day in the neighborhood!

I was just dusting off a few things in the parlour - totally a rare sight, and came upon a Pomona Telephone Directory from November 1932. I had purchased it years ago and from time to time it filters out from under the dust bunnies. This really goes hand in hand with someone asking me where I got the large letter California postcard that has Pomona on it.

The postmark shows that it was mailed on May 1, 1944 from Pomona. Apparently large letter postcards were very collectible and people mailed them out to each other. This one was going from Mrs. R. Clifford, 1555 S. White Ave., Pomona to an address in Massachusetts. At first I thought it might have been someone in John Clifford's family, but Dawn asked John for me several years back, and he said nope. I think it's a rather charming piece of Pomona memorabilia, and I have from time to time made duplicates out of it and mailed them out. So I looked the name up in the old phone book, and sure enough, the Clifford family lived on White in 1932 phone number Pomona 6177.

There are some great ads in the book and I will get them scanned and share them with ya'll. The book includes the areas of Chino, Claremont, LaVerne and San Dimas. Dr. Knight, a dentist, located at 2nd and Garey offered tooth extractions for $1.00. Oh my. Interesting to find your address and see who was actually living in your house back then. Way cool.

Until next time....ciao!

2 comments:

John Clifford said...

Unfortunately, in the 1930s all of my family was still in Chicago. We didn't move to California until 1955 and were the first in the family to make the move (although almost all the rest followed in the following few years). We didn't make our way to the San Gabriel Valley (Azusa/Glendora area) until about 1956-7. Except for the occasional trips east, I didn't have much contact with Pomona until after I was out of college.

I married the lovely Miss Deborah in 1988 and moved into her condo near San Bernardino Road and Indian Hill. We finally made it to Lincoln Park (the extreme north west corner) a few years later after our daughter Ariel was born and we were cramped out of the condo.

So, after all is said and done, I guess I'm not one of those Cliffords.

Robin said...

Would you be a dear and look in the 1932 phone book for the name Schwan? Frederick Schwan supposedly lived on West Ninth Street. The home was moved, or otherwise made to disappear at some point. I have proven that the house was once located where Ralph Welch Park now exists. If the Schwans moved the house, maybe there will be a clue to the new location in the phone book. Thanks a million!