Tuesday, November 11, 2008



I caught the photos of the Fox project on Ren's blog. I've been watching the project with baited breath. Can't wait to see the finished results. Thank you Ren.


So should I stop holding my breath on the Pomona Chop House? I really wanted that one to happen too. The web site is awesome for the Fox construction progress, but could someone update it? Or am I not looking in the right spot? Looks to me like the last update was in May 2008.


As for the events held in Pomona last Saturday, the comment was wouldn't it be nice if someone had put the whole thing together downtown. Ahhhhh, ya. I also think it would have been nice if someone in charge would have approached the businesses in and around downtown to help sponsor the chalk drawing event.


Last year at the first event, I think Donohue's had donated the chicken for the lunch (correct me if I'm wrong). There was also cake and soft drinks. And there was so much food that the parents were invited to participate in the lunch. Sadly this year there was 1/2 a banana, a bottle of water and a very small muffin for each one of the students. Vicky and crew did an awesome job, now we have to as a community get behind them with a little do, re, mi. Got it?? I will gladly donate. Gladly. Anyone out there with a big jar??


And while I'm on the subject, fliers were not sent out to the schools (not enough money for fliers). Emails were sent instead. Apparently Gold Springs Elementary did not get theirs, or else someone didn't hit the right button. We found out word of mouth. The Willow Bean was the loner from the school. I've done the shame on you to Mr. P the principal. He promises not to let this fall by the way next year. (Like I would let him!) Love you Mr. P!! Love, love, love Golden Springs Elementary...which will be expanding to include 7 and 8Th grades within the next 2 years. Sort of like wrapping your child in a blanket of warmth and knowledge everyday. API 921. You go Cougars!!


So who do you think should have been able to think "out of the box" and pull the events together downtown?? I'll take a moment to look around here. Hmmmmmm. The Farmer's Market is a BIG joke. I'm embarrassed to say that's our Pomona's best effort at it. Saturday's Market in the Baptist Church parking lot is great. But then they won't let crafters participate in the event. And why is that do you suppose?? Monrovia and other marketplaces that I have participated in through the years have been most successful when combining both the farmers and also the crafters. Talked to someone at the city several times years ago and offered ideas ....... (this is where we do a "pregnant pause"). THERE IS NO ONE TO PULL IT ALL TOGETHER! WAAAAAAAAA!!


Many years ago I took a proposal to the city and they immediately said "No-no". Like I was touching a forbidden fruit or something. I was referred to a young lady who was supposed to direct you or guide you or something, something (blocked the whole damn thing out of my memory). The meeting was so ridiculous that I wanted to puke. She had the nerve to say "Why do you want to do this in Pomona?" I think I sat there with the deer in the headlights look. She didn't live here and arrived everyday via the 71 freeway. Never had been down Garey Ave. And SOMEONE had hired her for that job!! So I thanked her and took my proposal and bowed out the door. Talk about feeling like someone had forgotten to bring life jackets on the boat trip. And to tell you the truth, I don't think that much more has really changed to date. Sort of like when I went to the city (another office) and said I was opening a yarn shop in my home on Garey. The person looked at me and said...why there?? Look at the eye sore businesses across the street from you. She was trying to talk me into taking a spot downtown. I guess no one had told her I already made my "bones" on Thomas along with Ma Belle Pru. I survived Amos and the Raves for goodness sakes! So once again, I bowed my way out of an office looking for a life jacket. THERE IS NO ONE TO PULL IT ALL TOGETHER! WAAAAAAAAA!!


My musings for today and don't even think about t-ping my house. Either another body part just gave out, or I have the flu today. I have to get this out of my system as cancelling the Friday Night Knitting Club is not an option. They would skewer me on their knitting needles.


Until next time....ciao

2 comments:

Ed said...

So it sounds like you're stepping up to organize the Chalk Art Festival fundraising for next year. My other half and I will certainly donate, but I've just got too much on my plate, so how about you?

I agree wholeheartedly with your analysis of the city government. "Why would you want to do that in Pomona", just about sums it up. Not all city employees, but there is certainly a pervasive "can't do" attitude. Unfortunately, altering the attitude will take an evolutionary change on the part of the residents. BUT I'M UP FOR IT!

Btw, I'm curious, Golden Springs and Garey Ave? Volunteer at school or have a child at the school, and live or work on Garey. I'm all confused on that one. Kudos on the K-8 shift. Even the high performing districts see drops in test scores for the middle school years. I'm giving some of the credit to standardized scores for showing the abysmal performance of middle schools, and thanks to PUSD for a willingness to change.

Yet another snarky blogger! Cool!

Anonymous said...

your welcome and I do enjoy your blog. nice work.