Saturday, August 22, 2009

And Life Goes On

Yesterday I attend the Celebration of Life and the Funeral of Fr. Eleutherius Winance, O.S.B. I have had the honor of knowing this most wonderful man during the many years that I have been associated with St. Andrew's Abbey in Valyermo. On July 4th, Larry and I spent the day with friends installing a huge Freezer body for the monks and I sadly missed Father and wishing him a happy 100 year birthday. As was his usual Saturday schedule, he was off to the Challenger Youth Detention Center in Lancaster to say Mass. We had planned a trip up the next Sunday 7/12 but we were sidetracked by the fire on 7/ll. He was a brilliant man who had taught up until 2001 at Claremont Graduate School. Can you imagine teaching at 92??? I and all those who met and knew him will miss him greatly.

While attending the services, Larry had been trying to call me to let me know that our dog had been found. She was found in Glendora. A man called Larry (her tags were still on) and said that he saw someone throw her out of a car. He took the dog to a Vet nearby. She was in very bad shape. She had a large cut on her stomach and was pretty badly beaten up and in shock. The vet said that he thought he could save her and of course Larry told him to do what he could to save her. We will going up to bring her home today. Now this is where I cannot put into words the type of a creature that would treat a poor helpless animal like she was treated. I have great faith that one of these days someone is going to let me know who did this...and on that day I will pounce like a python on them. People like that are so stupid that they have to brag about things like this, and I have a deep deep feeling that this person lives locally. I will find you...maybe not today...but I will find you and when I do I will be happy to play fetch with you...my way. I am off to get my dog.

I almost forgot to add that today is TOMATO DAY at The Garden. The Goddess Olympia should be there. If you don't know Olympia, please make it a point to meet her. An outstanding person and also one of the knitters. A dedicated Vegan who respects the fact that I am a carnivore and manages now to only roll her eyes half of the time. I miss my days of leaning out the cottage window and chatting it up while she was watering away in the garden. Those days shall return darling, trust me.

Off to bring Mitzie home...caio

7 comments:

John Clifford said...

Thank Goodness Mitzi was found and taken care of. I can assure you that if I should hear anything, you'll know.

Maybe I'll see you at the tomato tasting.

meg said...

I'm so glad that Mitzie was found!

pomona's art colonists said...

I am so happy that someone found your little Mitzie!
It makes me sad and angry that anyone could be so cruel to an innocent animal! Hopefully their lesson will come soon...

Ed said...

Cool!

Unknown said...

That is some good news right on.

Pride in Garfield Park said...

I'm sorry to hear Mitzi suffered abuse at the hands of strangers, but am thrilled to know she's coming home.

Unknown said...

My Wife and I would like to volunteer for your next "Clean up Day". When can we help?