Friday, September 4, 2009

Amazing Grace & Camp Pomona



Every time I visit City Hall I personally (muttering under my breath) comment just how cool the walk way is. Did someone tell me that there used to be fountains in the middle? Then something about the homeless bathing in them which caused the city to turned them into planters...think the bathers might have been more interesting. I get all sad when I see the tiles with the Pomona logo that are broken and that haven't been replaced...sad.
So I think it would be very cool to put the logo on "Grace"....such an amazing car. Problem is, just don't know where I would be able to fit it in. And then, white would not show that well...I'll have to check to see if they can print one up in black.
Something exciting to add...the knitting group is starting up again! We will have a Sunday late afternoon barbeque and then a knit along here at "Camp Pomona" at the rear of 823 N. Garey. Anyone wanting to join in, just bring along some yarn and needles...or your latest project. This is the first time the group has been together since the fire. Nice to get back to something called "normal"?

caio

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Yes at one time there was fountains at city hall well us kids use to splash around in them during the summer time never did see any homeless people but just us kids.

Pomona Diva said...

Hey Ren....any pictures of that??

Unknown said...

Sure do I will post them as soon as I can ;^)

me said...

Diva-
It is great to see you posting so much. I loved the tub shot. I don't think I can make the knitting group tomorrow but please post upcoming meetings. Are us neophyte knitters welcome too? Plus, I think I have a wooden animal head from your house that blew across Garey.

G of P

John Clifford said...

Our civic center was built in the 1960 and was designed by noted architect Welton Beckett. Becket also designed such iconic buildings in LA as the Capitol Records and Cinerama Dome buildings in Hollywood, Santa Monica Civic Auditorium, and the Contemporary Hotel in Florida, as well as the Los Angeles Music Center (which bears a stiking resemblance to our civic center with its round building and tall glass fronted building. In addition to our civic center, Beckett also designed the Downtown Pomona Buffums (now part of Western U). Pomona's City Hall is featured on the Welton Beckett page on Wikipedia.

Just as with the Mark Taper Forum at the Music Center, the round council chambers was designed to "float" on water, thus the pool surrounding the chambers which has been drained and turned into planters. Too bad!!!