Sunday, July 19, 2009

Dear Pomona

Thank you all who came out yesterday to help shovel through the debris. It's a hell of a town.

3 dump truck loads from the house alone. I think we were able to salvage 5 or 6 pieces of furniture. I have advanced to the "numb" state as I walk through the empty house hopeful that the wood will dry nicely and and not swell further. We are amazed that so many pictures and bibles were saved...things that dated pre civil war. Larry is a descendant of Patrick Henry. I have the certificate from 1998 when the house was on the Heritage tour...a little wet around the edges.
During the years many alterations were done to the interior of the house and it's wonderful to see the pillars that were covered up when the sleep porch was enclosed. So through all of this there are bright moments.
Today the trees that were destroyed are coming down. The rest we are hopeful will survive.
Thank you Meg for mentioning the bureaus/dressers. We have piles of donated clothing and no where to put it. I am going to try to sort through some of it today.
When I look at the backyard, which will be totally baren when all the clean up is done, I would like to make the land available for a community garden. I would like that very much.

Pam

No comments: